Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Ride and The Journey

Three weeks ago I saw a tweet that linked to the Black Dog Ride to the Red Centre. It attracted me instantly as it supports a cause close to me. The ride is simply to raise awareness of Depression and to raise funds in support of The Black Dog Institute. As a bonus it involves a 3,000 km motorcycle ride with about 100 other riders.

Three weeks......yikes! With support from my lovely wife, I signed up for three things.

First, work to raise awareness of Depression. I decided to do this by sharing my experience with people who know me, even if not intimately. It was quite a scary prospect as I sent out emails to my family, friends, staff, mentors and business acquaintances. Hitting the send button on those emails involved plenty doubt and concern for the reaction I might induce. I was afraid the the stigma I had decided to try and help dissolve. The response was mixed although on balance it has been positive. It initiated several conversations with people who either understood through personal experience or sought to understand more. It has really taken me on a journey to face my own fears of the stigma around depression, stand up to it and show others it is OK to discuss the subject directly.

Second, to raise money for the Black Dog Institute. This I have been doing by asking anyone who will listen if they care to support my ride and the cause it supports. I have been humbled by the generosity people have shown. So far I have managed to raise $8,750 and I hope to achieve my target of $10k by the time the ride is complete. If you care to help you can do so here: www.fundraising.exerciseyourmood.org.au/nathan_gyaneshwar

Third, a 3,000 km ride from Sydney to the middle of Australia via Port Augusta in South Australia. Here is a map I have plotted with all the stops.


View Black Dog Ride 2010 in a larger map

The ride will take 7 days and will cover some beautiful parts of our great country. We will be stopping in several rural towns where, with the help of the local Lions and Ulysses clubs, we will not only have a great time, but share our stories and spread the word that it is OK to talk about depression.

Please join my journey beyond those 3,000 km on the road next week. Join my journey with the Black Dog.

Give the Black Dog a pat!
Nathe

No comments:

Post a Comment