Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Night Before

Well I'm packed and ready as I'll ever be.

An early night to see if I can sleep and wake up fresh and ready to ride. Not sure how easy that will be through the nervous excitement of the adventure ahead. Quite a mixed bunch of emotions right now. Excited at the prospect of a long ride and seeing some of Australias beauty, nervous that I'm about to meet 100 strangers on this journey, sad that I'll be leaving my wife and son for 7 nights, a little worried that I have forgotten to pack something essential and more than a bit humbled at all the support people have given me not only in the fund raising but also in my personal effort to raise awareness of depression. I am getting plenty of last minute SMS and emails from well wishers. Most of all I am extremely thankful for this opportunity and the support I have received, especially from my wife. Thank you P.

I woke up this morning to a bit of drama that could have been a disaster for this trip. Geoff from next door came over to tell us our garage (and his) had been broken into last night. Gulp, my bike, Black Dog Buster, is (was?) in there. For a few moments I imagine the worst and my heart sank as I thought the ride could be off. But no, everything Black Dog Ride related was intact and ready to go. Phew!!

So, I'm ready. Ready to spend a few days in my own little world within the cacoon of my helmet and focus of the ride. Ready to share my experiences with others and spread the word, that it is OK to discuss depression, just as it is another ailment or illness. Ready to try and raise more than my current target for the Black Dog Institute. Ready to absorb the experience that should be one to remember.

All righty, off to bed. Lets hope sleep comes and more thieves don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment