Monday, September 6, 2010

Black Dog Down

Bit of a scare on the ride from Goolgowi to Hay. I had raced ahead of the pack and pulled up by the side of the road to take some photos of the guys riding by. Robbie on the big black Harley Vrod Nightster pulled over as well but hit a patch of mud. He fought his front wheel digging into the mud for about twenty meters before flopping down onto his left side flat in the mud! Doh!
Right in front of me. I ran over with my camera in hand and courageously managed to snap a shot even with a man down. I got to him and he was actually stuck. His left leg was jammed under 350 kg of Harley.
I didn't know it but with his iPod playing he couldn't actually hear what I was saying but I managed to workout he wanted the bike off his leg. He said something like " could you kindly remove the motorcycle from it's current position on my lower femur?". Well words that meant the same anyway.
I had to wait the 60 seconds it took another ruder to pull over as there was
No way I could lift the bike out of the mud on my own. I'm good but not that good!
We got the bike up and Robbie was freed, and understandably pissed off. He was actually quite cool and I got him to yell some profanities to help him feel better. Don't know if that helped? Anyway the best bit was that other than a bruised leg he was OK and the bike OK to ride.
We all agreed that that was the accident sorted out for the trip.
As an aside, Michael from the Black Dog Institute managed to lay his scooter down when we arrived in Hay. That is the picture in this post. The guys picking up the scooter. Michael has the red backpack on. Not sure why I bothered reporting a scooter incident? I must be getting soft!
I have the photo of Robbie under his Harley but will wait till he has cooled
Off before I post it. He seems to be a bit sensitive that I managed to take a photo before I helped with the bike!
Anyway hopefully that's it for incidents.

Addition to post now Robbie has cooled off:

2 comments:

  1. The 2 bikes simply laid down for a little nap. Nothing more to see here! ;-)

    Actually, you could say that both the bike and scooter went down due to soft ground! A very soft landing, too. (OK, enough of the soft jokes!)

    Btw both riders are fine, both bikes are still in one piece so no real harm done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you forgot the fact that I was avoiding hitting a Roo whilst doing a front wheelie one handed after coming out of 100m of fish tailing! But that's OK, at least you made the rest of my story heroic!

    And I think the photo has been plastered everywhere but this blog! I would b suing for breech of copyright if I was you!

    ReplyDelete